Welcome To A Conscious Cup
A Guided Coffee Tasting Experience Through Somatic Awareness
Brew Method: Pour Over
Origin / San Agustin, Huila, Colombia Producers / Edwin & Gloria Erazo of Finca la Esperanza Varietal / Caturra & Colombia Elevation / 1800 masl Process / Washed
Before you begin, we invite you to brew a fresh pour over coffee using the beans provided. Pour over instructions below.
Find a comfortable seated position with minimal distractions, and ensure you have a pen on hand to capture your thoughts. Enhance your experience with headphones and any other comforts that might deepen your enjoyment.
Reserve the next 20 minutes, from the moment you start brewing until the end of the audio, to fully immerse yourself in this guided tasting experience. Let's embark on this flavorful, sensation-filled exploration together.
Note: Brewing a great cup of coffee doesn't always require a fully equipped coffee bar. We encourage you to use the instructions provided as a foundation, but don't hesitate to get creative and work with what you have available. Coffee-making is an art, and your unique touch can make every cup special. All we ask is that you experience the true essence of this coffee by savoring it without milk or sugar.
Ingredients and Equipment:
- 25g of whole bean coffee
- 375g of water
- Burr grinder
- Pour-over cone (e.g., Hario V60)
- Paper filter
- Stirring utensil
Measure and Grind:
- Weigh out 25g of whole bean coffee using a scale.
- Grind the coffee beans to a medium-coarse consistency. This is typically similar to the texture of sea salt.
Prepare the Pour-Over Cone:
- Place a paper filter in the pour-over cone.
- Rinse the filter with hot water to remove any paper flavor and preheat the cone and mug. Discard the water.
Add Coffee Grounds:
- Place the pour-over cone on top of the mug.
- Add the ground coffee into the center of the filter, ensuring it's evenly distributed.
Bloom the Coffee:
- Start the timer and pour just enough hot water (about twice the weight of the coffee, so around 50g) onto the coffee grounds to saturate them.
- Allow the coffee to bloom for 30 seconds. This allows the coffee to degas and prepares it for the brewing process.
Pour in Stages:
- After the bloom, slowly pour the remaining hot water in a circular motion over the coffee grounds, keeping the water level consistent.
- Pour in stages, allowing the water to filter through the coffee bed. Take your time to pour evenly and maintain control over the brewing process.
Control the Brew Time:
- Aim for a total brew time of around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Adjust your pouring speed to control the flow rate and extend or shorten the brew time as needed.
Stir and Swirl:
- Optionally, give the coffee a gentle stir with a utensil to ensure even extraction.
- Swirl the cone or give it a light tap to settle the coffee grounds.
- Once the water has passed through the coffee grounds and into the mug, your pour-over coffee is ready and you can begin the guided tasting!